Who doesn’t like coffee? If it’s you, you’re in the wrong place. Move along.
But for the rest of you heavy coffee drinkers, you know how magical coffee is. Just the aroma of it is freaking amazing. Luckily, the process of roasting coffee beans has become easier. Nothing compares to sipping freshly brewed coffee!
For you to enjoy this simple luxury, you would need to get the best home coffee roaster machine. Don’t worry. We'll help you make the right decision with the tips and choices below.
Best Home Coffee Roaster Machine Reviews
Get it Now!
When choosing the best coffee roaster, you should always go for quality and capacity. This Behmor product is one of a kind and lets you roast coffee beans in style! It is the first and only product capable of roasting 1 pound of beans. It makes use of a smoke suppression technology for additional safety. This brand features five unique roast profile settings. (R)
Gene Cafe has long been known as the best coffee roaster machine available on the market. It can produce as much as half pound of fresh, equally roasted coffee. It makes use of a unique vortex and off axis chamber machines that ensures complete distribution of the beans during roasting. You'll surely enjoy making your own coffee as this model is very user friendly.
This model is the company's 4th generation product, hence a lot of improvements have already been made as compared to their previous models. The company has made adjustments on its fan speed and measurement. What's good about this model is that it is very affordable, and you can save your preferred roasting profile so you do not have to start all over again the next time you do home coffee roasting.
Kaldi Roaster is a product from Korea. Unlike the previous models, this machine uses gas to roast beans and can fit well on a single butane burner. You can do back to back roasting without waiting for it to cool down. This stovetop roaster comes in a complete package. It has a thermometer, hopper, probe rod, and chaff holder.
Understanding the Roasting Process
To help you get the right flavor for your coffee, you need to know the different stages involved in roasting with a professional roaster.
- Yellowing - Expect the beans to remain greenish during the first few minutes. They will eventually turn into yellow while emitting a grassy smell.
- Steam - Water contents of the beans will soon start to dissipate.
- First Crack - You'll surely notice this because of the enticing aroma. Once you hear a cracking sound, you know that roasting had begun! The sugar will start to caramelize, and the beans will break down, sweating out oils from their pockets.
- First Roasted Stage - After the audible cracking sound, the roast can be considered done anytime depending on your preference for custom roasts.
- Caramelization - As caramelization continues, more oil goes out of the beans and they get bigger in size. Some would choose to stop at this point. If you want to continue, you can wait for the second crack.
- Second Crack - This is more volatile than the initial crack. The process will start to change the original character of the beans. We call this Vienna roast.
- Darkening Roast - Expect dark colored beans at this phase. The bean structure breaks down even more. Approaching the end of the second crack, you will get a French toast.
Going beyond the darkening roast stage will give you nothing but a cup of charcoaled water.
Questions to Ask Yourself
One of the most important questions you need to ask yourself when buying this machine is the exact location where you intend to do the roasting. Are you going to roast coffee in your kitchen or outside your home?
Coffee emits chaff and smoke, especially if you want the roast darker. Electrical roasters do have filters to catch the chaff. But if you plan on roasting more often, it is recommended that you do so it outdoors.
Roasters can be quiet or loud. First time users may have difficulty discerning the first and second crack sounds if the roaster is too loud.
Coffee roasters can be as cheap as a tray in your oven, though there are high quality brands that can also cost you a fortune. Roasting is an intense and meticulous process. Do not expect your machine to last like that of your coffee pot. Most will have a short lifespan. Others are good only until the warranty expires. Choose something that is worth using for at least one or two years.
How much coffee do you need to roast on a regular basis? Some brands can roast half a pound while there are a few who can equally brew much bigger amounts.
Now that we have covered the basics of roasting, it is time to determine your specific preferences. Do your research and refer to the brands and models described above. Good luck in finding the best home coffee roaster machine!
Our Number One Choice
Gene Café Home Coffee Roaster
Gene Cafe has long been known as the best coffee roaster machine available on the market. It can produce as much as half pound of fresh, equally roasted coffee. It makes use of a unique vortex and off axis chamber machines that ensures complete distribution of the beans during roasting. You’ll surely enjoy making your own coffee as this model is very user friendly.